Saint Brigid’s Cloak
The children worked well in a collaborative effort to create a lovely Saint Brigid’s cloak in honour of Saint Brigid’s Day on February 1st. This art lesson was linked to maths (2d shapes) by incorporating those shapes into the cloak design.
we are doing two different projects in the school this term, one group are doing projects on chosen counties of Ireland (Dublin, Cork, Kildare etc). The other group are doing a project on World War 2. we hope to have these projects finished by Easter. There is a lot of work involved, research, writing, typing, presenting, etc.
Internet Safety Day 6th February
http://cybersafeireland.org/ : Leaflet : 5 Things We Need to Talk About
Cyber Safe Ireland have produced a leaflet with the support of Tusla and the Children and Young Person’s Services Committee (CYPSC) that will provide some helpful conversation starters for schools/parents to have with children about online safety. Below are the important points on the leaflet please have a talk with your family about these points.
KEEP IT PRIVATE
- Don’t share personal information like your email address or date of birth.
- Turn ON privacy settings to protect your stuff.
- Don’t add people you don’t know.
- Turn OFF location sharing.
- If you wouldn’t share with a stranger on the street, don’t share it publicly online
KEEP IT POSITIVE
- Think about how much information you are sharing online.
- A comment that you leave on someone’s page or what you post when out with friends, may not give the best impression of you.
KEEP IT REAL
- If you wouldn’t say it to someone’s face, don’t say it online.
- Be the same person online as you would be in real life.
- Beware fake profiles. Other people may not be who they say they are.
KEEP IT HEALTHY
- Find a healthy balance with screen time. The Internet is designed to be addictive.
- Avoid gaming or any screen time for at least an hour before bedtime.
- The number of ‘likes’ you get does not define you as a person.
KEEP TALKING TO ME
- You can always talk to me if you are worried or uncomfortable about anything online.
- Tell me about what you like online, and what you don’t like.
- Sometimes you won’t know the best thing to do. Don’t simply react – talk it over first with an adult you trust
Alex and Vicki’s Birthday
It was Alex and Vicki’s birthday on Friday, we sang happy birthday and they brought in a lovely chocolate, marshmallow chocolate birthday cake.
The Winter Olympics started on Friday 9th February in Pyeonchang in Korea, we did lots of Olympic activities today. Some classes did Olympic work in their maths classes. We read about the different events and looked at little videos of the sports. Then for Art class some of the pupils drew a poster of all the events. The whole school is putting a big frieze together of the Olympic events, we are covering the little characters in tinfoil. It looked very effective at the end.
We have 5 athletes in the Winter Olympics :
- Brendan Bubba Newby : in the free ski half-pipe event
- Séamus O’Connor: in the snowboarding half-pipe event.
- Pat McMillan: in the Alpine Ski (Giant Slalom), Super-G & Downhill events.
- Tess Arbez : in the Alpine Ski (Slalom) and Giant Slalom will be the focus of her attentions.
- Thomas Westgard : In the Nordic event
We had Pancake Day today. We made 4 big batches of the pancake mixture following Mary Berry’s recipe. Some of us enjoy lemon and sugar on our pancakes and some of us love to put Nutella on our pancakes
For Valentines‘s Day, it’s nice to give make little tokens and given them to our parents, brothers, sisters, guardians. It’s a way of saying “Thank you” for looking after me.
We are closed Thursday 16th and Friday 17th February for Half Term
Cork County Primary Schools Athletics Programme 2018
We are delighted to be part of the first phase of the Cork County Primary Schools Athletics programme 2018.The programme will consist of 4 weekly, hour long sessions commencing in February which will be followed by an Athletics Blitz, 15th March in Neptune Stadium from 10am -2pm
- Wed Feb 21st , Wed Feb 28th , Wed Mar 7th, Wed March 14th,
- Blitz 15th March (uniform needed)