On the 9th of May Irene from McAfee called to our school to explain to us about safety when online. Irene gave us all loads of tips to stay safe and what to do if we get into difficulty when online. She also spoke to us about cyber ethics which is very important and showed us an empowering video that really made us all stop and think.
Here are some of her top tips:
- Create smart and strong passwords: You can create a smart password by using capital letters, numbers and special characters. Never share a password with anyone unless it’s a parent.
- Use emails wisely: Never send your private information for example credit card details as you may have good security software on your PC however the person you are sending the email to may not have the same protection.
- Watch out for phishing scams: Phishing email message and websites are designed to steal money/your personal information. Be aware everyone.
- Fun and carefree online gaming: Internet games can be fun for the whole family just make sure you are careful playing online games especially when communicating with others as people may not be who they are.
- Shopping online: If you plan to buy items online be sure that the web site uses secure technology when you are at the checkout. Verify that the web address begins with https before purchasing.
“Always ask permission before posting a friends photo publicly.
It’s not about privacy setting
It’s about human decency”